Dear Pastor Chris,
I am Cameroonian girl. I want to get closer to God but I keep falling back to my old self. I know the Bible says we should not be lukewarm Christians. I have a boyfriend who is not a Christian. I do not know what to do.
Jesus is our life (John 14:6). Jesus said that He came to give us abundant life (John 10:10). The enemy of our soul comes to “steal and kill and destroy” (John 10:10). You will not find purpose and fulfillment in any person other than Jesus.
There are several things we can do to get closer to God:
- Read part of the Bible every day. There is no substitute for this. The Bible is God’s love letter to us. Think carefully about the passage you read. After thinking about the passage for a period of time, take a notebook and write down, 1) “What God said to me”; and, 2) “What I said to God”. Write this related to the verses you just read.
- Pray. Use the passage you just read as a guide for your prayer that day.
- Sing or play Christian music. This will fill your heart with joy!
- Seek a Christian woman who is mature in the Lord and ask her to guide you in your Christian walk. Ask her to teach you the scriptures.
- Form a small group of other Christian ladies your age and study the Bible together.
Be consistent. Christians need to spend time with other believers. Pray for each other. Share your hearts with each other.
- Be active in the worship services of your church.
- Serve God in a ministry through your church.
- Your boyfriend is dragging you down and hurting your walk with Christ. Let your boyfriend know that you can no longer be with him because your first loyalty is to Jesus.
Do these things with your whole heart and you will grow closer to Jesus.
~ Pastor Chris